Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Secret Santa

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Secret Santa

    Is it too late to put this on my Christmas List for my Altec Hostboard Secret Santa?

    ALTEC LANSING VOICE OF THE THEATER 210 A4 A-4 SPEAKERS - eBay (item 300383174989 end time Feb-01-10 22:44:31 PST)

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Secret Santa


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Secret Santa

    -
    It's nice but...Way overpriced. Not an original system...the HF drivers are newer than the LF.

    A bargain for a third his price and decent deal for half.

    Just give me 4 604G's and $7500 to spend please....
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Secret Santa

    I had to laugh at this part of his description "As details and attached photos indicate; they are both covered in a beautiful golden oak veneer- to make livingroom or interior soundroom application possible for family or spousal acceptance". Any wife who would approve of these speakers in a living room or any other main room of a house should be sainted! For some reason when I look at his first photo of them they remind me of the statues on Easter Island.... I agree they're way overpriced, but they'd make a great stocking stuffer....

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Secret Santa

    I saw that, too. I thought the veneer was nice, until I started looking at it closer. It doesn't look like oak, to me, and looks to be applied poorly. Furthermore some of it is just a poorly applied faux finish...... I believe more than just the HF horn was done that way. It's a con, in my book...... all stuff I'd have to un/re-do.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Secret Santa

    Yeah, fake wood grain rarely looks as good as it should--and this grain does look very fake...

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Secret Santa

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    -
    ...the HF drivers are newer than the LF.
    ....
    Yeah...but they're 288-8G's and those are some nice drivers!
    ...half the price seems more realistic...but if ya got the bread and you
    want a solid in...this'll do!

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Secret Santa

    Even cheezier would be adding crapy wood paneling to the cabs.....or shelf paper!

    I'm pretty sure I need a pair of these....shoot, I have most every other Altec speaker that I'll never use.

    Thinking of a fire sale some time, you guys will get first shot.

    Ron

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Secret Santa

    Pretty cool. At first glance I thought he had custom wood multicell horns. Until I saw them from the back.

    I was thinkin' max 1/2 price, too. A killer system for a really big room.

  9. #9
    HB Super Moderator
    Secret Santa


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Secret Santa

    I think that faux finnish looks horrible especially applying it over gray ???

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Secret Santa

    ok..1803 horns, if ya can find them..how much?3grand? at least a grand a pair fer the 515b's...now yer at 5, and ive seen many pairs of 288g's go for a grand, plus plywood. i have 210's in the living room..ive auditioned a-5's and valencias and 9846a's in the living room as well. nothing ive heard yet has the sound stage of the big midbass horns. easy effortless musical, and so powerful, loaded with 515b's..sooo smooth. yes i can hear the horns vibrate abit but its a small price to pay. i love my 210's, moved even the 9846's out after all theyre just little speakers.
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.